The Alexandrakio retirement home, which has been providing shelter to the elderly since 1877, is situated east of the Metropolitan Church of the Ipapanti of Christ in Kalamata. It was founded by the late Spyridon Alexandrakis, a great benefactor of Kalamata.
Spyridon Alexandrakis was born in 1807 in Kambos, Avia. His family was relatively poor, which was the reason why at the age of 14 he went to Kalamata, where initially he worked as a servant and later as assistant to a merchant. Apprenticing with the merchant, he slowly managed to carve a name for himself in the sector. As a result, at the age of 29 he was already managing his own firm in Kalamata. He became very wealthy and he donated a great part of his wealth to good causes. Through his will, which was drawn up on October 19, 1870, he bequeathed what was then considered a huge sum of money to go towards the creation of a home for the elderly/impoverished, as well as the Greek School of Kampos. The home opened seven years later, and in 1940 it became exclusively a retirement home. In 1972 the church of Aghios Spyridon was erected, to cater to the church needs of the elderly, and in 1999 the new building was inaugurated, since the old one had been completely destroyed in the earthquakes of 1986.
Today the Alexandrakio retirement home cares for approximately 88 people, who have come here of their own free will. The elderly staying here have described their living conditions as excellent, since they are very well cared for and there is also opportunity for entertainment. One third of the expenses is covered by the Alexandrakis foundation and two thirds by donations and by own resources.