The Archaeological Museum of Argos is located in the center of Argos and it is housed in general Kallergis’ manor, a building of great historic significance. This neoclassical building was built in 1830 and since 1961 and following the construction of a new wing with the contribution of the EFA (“L’ECOLE FRANCAISES D’ATHENES”, in English: French Archaeological School of Athens), functions as a museum.
The permanent exhibition spreads out across 3 halls approximately 416 qm2 large and there one can see exhibits discovered in Argos and the environs that date back to the period between the prehistoric period and the Roman Times. The visitor will also have the opportunity to observe among other exhibits mosaics, fragments of a garden of a roman mansion, pots, suits of armor, funerary possessions found in tombs, imprints of signet-rings, a 7th century crater depicting the blindness of Polyphemus, a lyre made from turtle shell and a reproduction of Lysippus’ so-called Farnese Hercules Statue
The Archaeological Museum of Argos is now hosted in the center of the city, on St. Petros Square, in the historic manor called “Kallergis”. This neoclassical Kapodistrian listed building was constructed in 1830 and it was at first General Dimitris Kallergis’ residence. The years that followed found the manor housing the “Palace of Government”. In 1932 General Kallergis’ family willing to found a museum in the city, donated the house to the municipality of Argos. A few decades later, the Municipality transferred the house and a building plot next to it to the Ministry of Culture to start the construction of the museum. In this attempt it was the valuable assistance of the EFA that arranged the manor and constructed a new southeast wing, all sponsored by the French government. The museum was completed in two phases, first the “Kallergion” building (1957) and then the new wing (1961). In 2003 a model was placed in the first hall of the ground floor, representing the ancient theater and the Municipal Market of Argos, but also rich photographic material was available, a grant of the EFA.
The permanent exhibition of the museum spreads out across 3 halls, one in the new wing and the other two in “Kallergion”, and includes various treasures of great importance, from the prehistoric until the Roman period. These treasures came to light after excavations that took place in the Ancient Agora, the Ancient Theater of Argos, the prehistoric cemetery in Dirada with the Mycenaean tombs, in Lerna, in lowlands of Argolis and in private plots in Argos.
When the visitor enters the yard of the museum it is obvious how Argos and the environs influenced Greek art and culture through the years. In that yard is also a fragment of a garden of a Roman mansion that was discovered in Gounari Street in Argos. In the stoas of the building the visitor will find mosaics depicting scenes of hunting with falcons, but also the months and the seasons of the year personified. In the big hall of the ground floor the exhibits are placed chronologically and cover the era between the Middle Helladic Period and the Classical Age. Among the other findings, there are some that really stand out, like a bronze suit of armor, iron spits with their ship-shaped krateutai that date back to the Geometer Period (8th century B.C.), a lyre made of a turtle shell, the part of a crater representing the blindness of Polyphemus and an attic red-figure pot made by the painter Ermonaktas.
The hall of the ground-floor, adjoined to the “Kallergion”, gives the visitor the opportunity to meet and become familiar with findings from the prehistoric settlement of Lerna. These exhibits date back to the era between the Neolithic and the Mycenaean Period. A ceramic statuette of a female of the Neolithic age, imprints from signet-rings but also a circular fireplace.
The first floor of this building houses sculptures, mostly reproductions of classical masterpieces, such as the copy of Lysippus’ Farnese Hercules (4th cen. B.C.) and a reproduction of the Evmenides.
Address: 2 Vasilissis Olgas Str.,(St. Petros square)
Telephone: +30 2751068819
Regular: 2 Euros
Reduced :1 Euro