The Archaeological Museum of Nafplion can be found on the west side of Suntagma square. The two-story building where it is hosted was built in 1713 during the second Venetian rule by the Superintendent of the Fleet, Agostino Sagredo. It constitutes a monumental construction, slightly influenced by the baroque style and the Ottoman period. Until 1933 the building served various purposes, but since then it has been used as a museum.
The permanent exhibition space occupies 580 m2 and two stories in total. Based on the recent renovation, the almost 2000 exhibits are organized thematically and with the assistance of the new technologies they present thoroughly the various cultures that resided in Argolis from the Paleolithic until the Late Antiquity. On display at the museum are pots that date back to the Geometric and Archaic Period, statuettes, pottery, earthen shields, signs of Linear B, the Panathenaic amphora, bronze suit of armor of Dendra and “Asini’s master”.
Probably the country’s most ancient museum, it is housed in the middle of Nafplion, on the west side of the Syntagma square and very close to the Parliament Building in a building that holds a special place in Greek history.
This two-story building is one of city’s most important Venetian constructions. According to the marble sign in Latin on the front of the building it was built in 1713 during the second Venetian rule by the Venetian Superintendent of the Fleet Agostino Sagredo, in order to be used as a storage room for the Fleet. In the following years it was turned into barracks and later on it housed the interrogation rooms of the Germans during the German Occupation. Since 1933 it has preserved its modern form, and works as a museum. Two of the three floors host the Archaeological Museum and on the ground floor are the office and installations of the 4thEphorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities. After the recent renovation, the approximately 2000 exhibits were thematically divided and accompanied by new and modern teaching aids.
The permanent exhibition is spread across both floors, and more specifically in two halls with similar floor-plans. The hall of the first floor includes presentations of findings that date back to the prehistoric, the Paleolithic, the Mesolithic, the Neolithic and the Bronze Age, while on the second floor the visitor can find exhibits from the historic times. We should not forget to mention that Nikos Tobazis’ photography exhibition decorates the entrance and welcomes the visitors.
Through the exhibits the visitor has the amazing opportunity to travel from the Paleolithic Period to the Late Antiquity. In many places of Argolis a civilization was born, and the visitor has the chance through the findings to meet these places, places like Tiryns, Midea, Dendra, Asini, Nafplia, Ermioni, Kazarma, Berbati and the Frahthi cave.
While wandering around these places, the traveler will be able to see the most ancient exhibit of all, the Paleolithic hearth complex that spreads from the rocky roofs of Klisoura to Prosymna (32000-21000 B.C.), feel the Mycenaean Civilization and admire the art of the Geometric and the Archaic Period. Pots, statuettes, ceramics, the one and only freezer compartment of Tiryns, Hermione’s Tomb , pig heads used in ceremonies and rituals, stone and bone tools, signs of Linear B’ are only some of the exhibits presented in the museum. The Panathenaic amphora is the centerpiece of the museum. It was the prize for the winner of the Panathenaic Games and every four years it is transferred to the place where the Olympic Games take place .Among the special and unique exhibits is the bronze suit of armor of Dendra, one of a kind in Greece, and “Asini’s master” will definitely catch the visitor’s attention.
The museum’s collections are presented in a special place of the exhibition, collections by antiquity-enthusiastic donors like Glymenopoulos, Archbishop Nikandros, Potamianos, and Thermoyiannis.
Finally, the screens of the museum bring before the visitor’s eyes vivid images of the civilizations and places, where the exhibits were found. This combination of history and technology is the most powerful motive for someone to visit the treasure this museum offers.
Address: Syntagma Square, 21100 Nafplion
Telephone: +30 2752027502
Fax: +30 2752024690
Winter: Tuesday-Sunday 8:30-15:00
Summer: Tuesday-Sunday 09:00-16:00
regular: 2 Euros
reduced (for visitors over 65 years old): 1 Euro