The metropolis of Saint George is connected to the recent history of the Greek state. It was built in the beginning of the 26th century. It was then transformed to a mosque during the Turkish domination and became a church again after the liberation of the town. It was in this church that the town welcomed Morozini and it was here that the funeral of important persons of the Greek state such as Paleon Patron Germanos, Dimitrios Ipsilantis and Kapodistrias took place. It is one of the most important churches of the town and is known for its exquisite and elaborate frescos. A copy of The Last Supper of Leonardo Da Vinci decorates the walls of the church. The most important monument, though, is the imposing throne of king Otto on which he sworn as the first king of the Greeks.
Behind the town hall, in a picturesque alley, rises the imposing metropolis of saint George, a church in that hosted important moments of the recent Greek history.
This church is dated back to the beginning of the 16th century, during the first Venetian domination.
In 1540, after the occupation of the town by the Turks, the church was transformed into a mosque. During the Venetian domination, in 1686, it became a church again and it was ornamented to welcome the general Morozini. However, a few years later the Turks transformed it again into a mosque. During the revolution, it was here that the great teachers of the nation inspired the Greeks with their dynamic speech to revolt.
During the first years after the revolution this church welcomed the first governor of the country, I. Kapodistrias, who came accompanied by multitude of people. However, a few years later it opened again its gates in order to say goodbye to this great politician. It was here that the funerals of other important persons of the revolution such as Paleon Patron Germanos and D. Ipsilantis, who was buried at the narthex, took place. On January 25th, 1833 in this imposing church a doxology took place and the young prince Otto was sworn as the first king of the Greeks. His throne still stands in the center of the church reminding the visitor of the historical moments that took place in the church.
Apart from the throne, the visitor can admire the splendid and rich decoration of the church. Hagiographies of the Italian School of the 17th century and more modern ones of the 19th century decorate a large part of the walls. It is here that one can admire the copy of The Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci.
Every summer, under the moonlight musical events are organized in the square outside the church.