Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Holy Monastery of Saint Blaise (Ano Trikala)(brief)

The monastery of saint Blaise is located on a slope on mount Kyllene, a few kilometers from the village Ano Trikala. The icon of saint Blaise was found in a large cave on the huge rock situated to the south of the monastery. The first cultural centers of the village of Trikala had religious orientation. Monasteries, like Saint Blaise, that date to the first two centuries of the second millennium A.D., consist of historic and cultural landmarks of their time.

The monastery of Hieromartyr Blaise, bishop of Sebastea in Capadoccia, is a center of monastic life and a center of attraction for numerous pilgrims in the region of Corinth. The foundation inscription of the monastery has not been found and there is no other evidence on its foundation date.

According to tradition, Saint Blaise led an ascetic life in a cave at the rock situated opposite the monastery. Although the icon of the saint was found in the cave, the story on the saint’s life does not seem to be real. During the period of the Crusades, some crusaders passing by the region gave the remains of the Saint to the bishop of Corinth as a gift. The presence of an icon that dates to the 8th century, during the crusades, adds to the previous version.

The 18th century altarscreen in the small church is magnificent. It is considered to be made for another church or to be transferred from an older church because its two sides do not touch the wall. The icons depicting the ascetic figure of saint Blaise dating to 1620-1680, while the iconostasis was completed in the 18th century.

The katholikon of the monastery is small, aisleless and arch roofed and contains two blind arches. In 1918 a loft reserved to the women was added to the low aisleless church. In the church there is a second icon depicting Saint Blaise considered to be the copy of the old one.

Under the reign of Otto, the monastery was abolished and transformed to a dependence of Saint Nikolaos in Trikala. Its property passed to Notaras family and in the 1846 census it was considered to be abandoned.

#mythicalpeloponnese

eot
espa
Shopping Cart
There are no products in the cart!
0
X
Skip to content