The monastery of Saint Nikolaos is set amidst an evergreen landscape on the borders of Laconia and Arcadia. It was completed in 1795 with the help of the monk Ananias from Kaltetza and it was dedicated to Saint Nikolaos. The Katholikon is a domed cross-in-square church supported by six masonry pillars. The columns form three sections that are roofed with round arches. The monastery has a significant historical value. It was here that the first Peloponnesian Senate was established on May 26th, 1821. On May of 1819 the monastery hosted the first meeting of notables and chieftains whose objective was to prepare for the revolution. The meeting ended inconclusively. During the Greek revolution, in 1821, the monastery contained ammunition depots and a “secret school” and it served as a shelter to Theodoros Kolokotronis and other fighters.
Since 1932, new buildings were constructed and the old structures were renovated thanks to the contribution of many benefactors. A Memorial Monument was erected in 1942 and in 1970 the area of the “secret school” was accentuated.
The monastery of Saint Nikolaos Kaltezon is located on the border between Laconia and Arcadia. Built in the late 18th century, it is one of the most contemporary monasteries of Southern Greece. According to an inscription, the construction was completed in 1795 with the contribution of monk Ananias, a native of Kaltezes. According to popular narratives, the monk Ananias excavated at this point and discovered the miraculous icon of Saint Nikolaos. The monastery was dedicated originally to Saint Nikolaos and later on to Prophete Elijas and the Transfiguration of Christ. The katolikon is a domed cross-in-square church supported by six masonry pillars. The pillars form three sections roofed by round arches and smaller domes.
The monastery suffered many destructions and lootings until 1833. In May 1819 it hosted, in one of its cells, the first meeting of notables and chieftains whose objective was to prepare the revolution. The meeting, though, ended inconclusively. Two years later, on May 26th, 1821, the First Peloponnesian Senate elected a six member committee to act as the first government of the revolted nation. The six member committee took its oath of office in the church of Saint Nikolaos. The gospel used to take the oath is saved among the treasures of the monastery. There is a marble plaque, over the katholikon entrance gate, that attests the assembly. During the revolution of 1821, the monastery contained ammunition depots and a “secret school”. Numerous fighters and even the famous chieftain Kolokotronis sought refuge in the monastery.
The monastery was a dependency of the Holy Monastery of Lacedaimona and later of the Tsipiana Monastery. In 1921, a hundred years following the meeting of the Peloponnesian Senate, it obtained its independency by a royal decree. Since 1932, it has been extended and renovated thanks to the contribution of many benefactors. In the subsequent years, guesthouses were erected, as well as storehouses, and a dining room for the pilgrims. In 1942, the monastery was equipped with a well and a memorial monument was erected. In 1970 the area of “the secret school” was accentuated. Currently, it belongs to the Holy Metropolis of Mantineia and Kynouria.
The feastdays of the monastery are December 6 for Saint Nikolaos, September 14th for the Holy Cross, May 26 for the Establishment of the Peloponnesian Senate, August 6 for the Transfiguration of Christ, July 20 for Prophete Elijas and November 8 for Saint Nektarios.