The historical monastery is built on Mount Parnon. It consists of an impressive fortess like construction that contains a massive building complex. The golden bull of the emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos, in 1293, consists of the first historical source of the monastery’s existence as it consolidates the boundaries of the archdiocese of Monemvasia. A found inscription characterizes it as a patriarchal stavropegic monastery. From 1685, the monastery was damaged by the Turks and the Venetians, but it was reconstructed, and since 1707 it begins to flourish. In 1826, Ibrahim Pasha’s army set fire to the monastery. During the German occupation it was pillaged.
The main church of the monastery is a domed cross-in-square church with characteristics of the late byzantine architecture. The well-known Kakavas family, originating from Nafplion, painted the wall frescos that date back to 1621. However, today, they are not preserved intact because of severe damage.
The monastery is currently under restoration and it is a dependency of the monastery of the Holy Forty Martyrs.
The Monastery of Saints Anargyroi, located on the Mount Parnon, consists of an impressive fortress construction. It is situated 25 kilometers from the town of Sparti, 1000 meters above sea level (Mound Stamatiras), near the villages of Vassaras, Veroia and Tsintzina. The first evidence of the monastery’s existence is in 881 A.D, in the biography of Saint Elijas, the New or Sikeliotis. The first historical evidence is the golden bull of the emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos in 1293, which determined the jurisdiction of the archdiocese of Monemvasia. A found inscription that indicates the name of the Patriarch of Constantinople, Cyril Loukaris, documents that it consisted of a patriarchal stavropegic monastery. The history of the monastery’s foundation is included in the older preserved patriarch sigil of Gabriel III, which dates back to 1707 and renews the patriarchal stavropegic. The same source mentions terrible invasions that resulted in the extinction of the monastery, probably in 1684-1686, when the Ottomans were leaving Peloponnesus. The monastery was then damaged by the Venetians and it was rebuilt and flourished in 1707.
In 1826, the army of Imbrahim Pasha set fire to the monastery and pillaged its treasures. The German troops also pillaged it during the German occupation, in November 1943.
The main church (katholikon) of the monastery is a domed cross-in-square church of the late byzantine architectural style. It was destroyed and rebuilt twice. The present edifice dates back to 1611. The magnificent wall paintings are attributed to the well-known Kakavas family, that originated from Nafplion. According to an inscription signed by Demetrios Kakavas, the frescos date back to 1621, but are not preserved. According to a found inscription from 1611, the owners are Priest Demetrios Poulofagos and Arsenios Barlas. The wooden carved iconostasis dates back to 1711 and it is living proof of the monastery’s flourishing period.
Presently, the monastery is under reconstruction and it operates as a dependency of the monastery of the Holly Forty Martyrs. It celebrates the memory of Saints Kosmas and Damianos from Minor Asia, every year on November first, and July the first, the feast day of Saints Anargyroi from Rome.
Holly Monastery of Saints Anargyroi,
Parnon P.B . 74 / 231 00
Sparti (27310 73225)
Feast day: Saints Anargyroi (1st of November and 1st of July)