The monastery of Pammegistoi Taksiarches, built in the 15th century by monks of the Kalami monastery, is located between the villages of New Epidaurus and Dimaina, on the old national road that leads to the village Ligourio. The monastery was a spiritual center during the Turkish domination and during the first period of the newly established Greek state, contributing to the preservation of the language and the religion. Since 1945 it was inhabited by nuns and a new bigger church was constructed replacing the old destroyed one. The church was built in Byzantine style, it is a cross-in-square type with dome and it is adorned with beautiful frescos from Mount Athos. Holy relics and old icons are kept in its interior.
Between the villages of New Epidaurus and Dimaina, on the old national road leading form Corinth to Ligourio, amidst a green landscape planted with olives, planes, pines and other conifers, the scent of nature is mixed with the incense of the nuns at the Pameggistoi Taksierches monastery.
The monastery was built in the 15th century by a group of monks led by monk Nifon who arrived at Piada of Epidaurus from the nearby monastery of Kalami. We have little information on the monastery other than a sigilium of patriarch Jeremiah II in 1593 according to which the monastery remains under the auspices of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. During the harsh years of the Turkish domination the monastery contributed greatly. It helped preserve the language and the religion throughout the atrocious battle for the liberation. After the foundation of the Greek state, a monitorial school functioned in the monastery. In the years following, the abbot Ath. Mpikos greatly contributed by creating the Code of the Monastery. It was this same abbot who started renovating the monastery within the period 1913-1917 maintaining the four-side monastery form. It was during that period that the church of Pammegistoi Taksiarxes was renovated, only to be demolished by the devastations and the floods of 1945.
Since then the monastery started functioning as a female monastery and a new bigger Byzantine church was constructed, cross-in-square with a dome. In its interior exquisite frescos were made by monks of Mount Athos and the Katsona brothers, which can be admired to this day. Holy relics are kept in a silver case and in the library there is a large collection of books and notes form Venetian publishing houses, handwritten Codes and Ottoman documents.
Apart from the main church there are two chapels, one honoring The Virgin Mary Gorgoepikoos (Swiftly Attending) and one in honour of Saint George, the most ancient building in the monastery. A wall inscription over its entrance indicates 1598 as the year of its renovation. Only the parts of the templon are saved from its rich hagiography.
At present the nuns inhabiting the monastery carry out agriculture and handcraft work. Thousands of pilgrims visit the monastery to escape from the routine of everyday life as it combines the magic of nature and the solemn environment of the space.