The church of Saint Sophia is located in Upper Town, in the quarters of Palaces. It was the main church of a large monastery, founded in 1365. The initials of the first governor of Mystras and owner, Manuel Kantakouzenos, can be seen on the column capitals.
It is a domed, cross-in-square, two column church with a three floor belfry.
There are two significant wall paintings. One that represents the Birth of Our Lady and another representing the offering of gifts from a group of women dressed with apparels pertaining to the aristocracy of Mystras. The church was rebuilt during the last decade, and served as the church for the nearby palace.