Built in 1670, by Ottoman command, this imposing castle occupies a southeast area of Oitilo. Its location oversees all of Lylolagkado and visual contact with the perches of the neighboring settlements. It is said that its name is related to the lights of the perches, and more specifically from the ancient Greek verb “kelevo” which means announce, warn. The castle once occupied an area of 13.000 m2 and at its four corners it had four round towers and a semicircular bastion on the east side. However, in 1685 the Maniots and the Venetians took over the castle that was until then governed by Hasan Pasha. The Venetians perfected it into one of the most powerful of the area. In 1715, it was handed over to the Turks and progressively was abandoned. Today, only the external walls, two of the four towers, a cannon and the deserted buildings on the inside are preserved.
West of Kefalas village, southeast of Oitylo stands the castle of Kelefas. The castle was built in 1670 under the command of the Grand Vizier Koprulu, who recruited six thousand men from Athens, Nafpaktos and Evvoia to construct it. Many believe that it was built in collaboration with the captain pirate from Mani, Limperakis Gerakakis, in order to divide and repress the Maniots. The position of the castle on top of a gorge, oversees all of Mylolagkado and has visual contact with the perches of the other settlements. The name “Kelefas” originates from the ancient Greek verb “kelevo” (kelefstis) which means he who warns all inhabitants of an area in case of invasion, through lighting signals from the perches. The castle once occupied an area of 13.000 m2 and it had four round towers, one in each corner, and a semicircular bastion on the eastern side.
In 1685 Venetians and their Maniots allies took over the castle that was until then governed by Hasan Pashat. The Venetians perfected it and made it one of the most powerful areas, with Bernard Vlavis in commander. In 1715, it returned to Turkish hands and was gradually abandoned.
Today, the enormous external walls, two of its four towers, deserted buildings and a one cannon of the 58 that the castle had in the years of its significant growth are salvaged.