The Parliament building, on the southwest side of Syntagma square, is one of the two historical mosques of the town. It was the building of the First Parliament of the liberated Greek state. It was here that the renowned trial of chieftain Theodoros Kolokotronis took place in 1834. Today, this large and imposing building hosts a branch of the Greek Conservatoire.
The Vouleftirion or Vouleftiko, the first parliament of the Modern Greek state, stands at the southwest side of the paved Syntagma square.
This imposing building dates back to the mid-18th century (1730) and was originally built as a mosque, the second in town. According to tradition it was constructed by Delviniotis Pasha to atone for a hideous crime he had committed.
Designed by Antonios Rigopoulos, the mosque is a typical example of the late Ottoman architecture. It is a two floor building with heavy proportions and a huge dome. The ground floor consists of ten rectangular rooms. The mosque, located on the upper floor, has a square domed chamber. On its west side there was a domed portico that collapsed from an earthquake in the early 20th century. It was built mainly of limestone according to the ashlar masonry type. The construction stones are said to have come from the Karakala monastery destroyed by fire in 1800.
The mosque housed the first parliament of the liberated Greek state in 1824-25 and 1827-28. In later years it was used for many purposes; it housed the Greek school, the prison, a ball room, barracks, conservatoire and a court. In 1834, the trial of chieftain Kolokotronis took place in the building, operating then as a court. Currently, the building has been renovated and hosts conferences and cultural events. The Municipal Gallery of Nafplio is housed on the ground floor. The building also houses a branch of the Hellenic conservatoire.