The War Museum of Nafplion constitutes a branch of the War Museum of Athens, it was inaugurated in 1988 and it is housed in the historical stone building on Amalias Avenue, where the country’s first governor founded the first “Cadet School” or “Central Military School” and the first Military Ministry.
In the two stories of the building artifacts of the modern history of Greece are exhibited chronologically, from the War of Independence in 1821 to the Liberation from the German Occupying Forces (1944).
In the center of Nafplion, on Amalias Avenue in a imposing neoclassical building that decorates the city, is the War Museum of Nafplion, a branch of the War Museum of Athens and the country’s first branch in general. This two-story stone building was constructed approximately during the second half of the 18th century and constitutes a characteristic sample of the architecture of the time. There are no reliable sources informing us about its initial use during the first years after its construction. However, during the first years after the War of Independence in 1821 this building sealed Modern Greek history. It was this building that from 1828 until 1834, hosted the first “Cadet School”- first named “Central Military School”- after the first governor Ioannis Kapodistrias’ decision, and the Military Ministry. In 1978 after research conducted by the Engineer Training Center (KEMX) the gradual restoration of the building started and from 1988 it hosts the War Museum.
In the museum the visitor can see the Greek history, from the War of Independence in 1821 until the Liberation from the German Occupying Forces (1944), through pieces of art, lithographies, engravings, weapons, armors, written references, and other war materials. The special assistance of the people of Argolis can also be observed, not only in the battle for the liberation but also in the course of the first Cadet School. The material has been organized chronologically and it is also decorated with Kapodistrias’ bust, a plethora of pictures depicting the harsh consequences of the Second World War and donations by the Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation and individuals from Argolis.
On the first floor the visitor can find artifacts from the course of the Cadet School through out the years, the War of Independence in 1821, the Macedonian Battle (1904-1908), the Balkan Wars (1912-1913) and the participation of Greece in the First World War (1914-1918) next to the Entente Powers. On the second floor are exhibits from the Asia Minor expedition (1919-1922), the Greek-Italian War of 1940-1941, the German Invasion, the battle of Crete (1941)and the Occupation and the Liberation. Moreover, from time to time, in a specially-designed hall exhibitions are hosted, organized in association with the Nafplion annex.
Address: 22 Amalias Avenue, Nafplion
Telephone: + 30 2752025591
Closed on Mondays
Tuesday-Sunday and national holidays: 09:00-14:00
Bank holidays : 09:30-14:00
Christmas, February 1st (local holiday), Good Friday and Easter Sunday (during he Holy Week of Easter), May 1st :closed
Ticket: 2 Euros Pupils, students of E.U., teachers, tour guides, and the elderly: free entrance.